Assistant Principal - GLH Johnson Elementary School
Company: Danville Public Schools
Posted on: April 4, 2021
POSITION TITLE: Assistant Principal - GLH Johnson Elementary
School JOB STATUS: OPEN POSTING DATE: 03/05/2021 DEADLINE DATE: `
Applications will be screened on receipt and interviews of
candidates who meet the qualifications will be conducted as soon as
possible, with a selection to follow quickly thereafter. POSTING
NUMBER: 002183 NATURE OF POSITION: Under the direction and guidance
of the Principal, the Assistant Principal is responsible-- for
assisting with administering all aspects of the total school
program by providing educational leadership for students and staff
consistent with-- D ivision goals. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: In unison
and collaboration with the Principal, the Assistant Principal
is--responsible--for-- the following: --
Curriculum and Instruction:
- Administers and evaluates the instructional program of the
- Organizes and conducts a program of instructional supervision
and evaluation, including classroom and teaching
- Implements curriculum and establishes educational objectives
consistent with division goals.
- Develops an efficient system for student and program appraisal,
recommending changes as needed to meet student needs.
- Evaluates grading policies and student progress with members of
- Assists teachers in planning field trips and using community
- Develops the student master schedule.
- Facilitates teacher professional growth, recertification,
career ladder planning and activities.
Student Personnel Services:
- Coordinates and administers student personnel
- Implements and maintains a code of acceptable student
- Coordinates and supervises student affairs including after
- Coordinates services to students such as guidance, health,
- Approves student placements and programs.
- Supervises student record keeping.
- Administers appropriate personnel procedures in the
- Recruitment and selection.
- Assures that necessary documentation regarding resignations and
recommendations for hiring are processed in accordance with Board
- Assures that recommendations for hiring are made based on the
approved candidate pool and are made based on job-related
- Presents evidence of effort in implementing the division's
Affirmative Action Plan.
- Assures that interviewers involved in the selection process are
trained in accordance with Board policy.
- Adheres to all requirements specified in Danville School Board
Personnel Policies and procedures.
- Coordinates the use of subject matter specialists, resource
teachers, and other resource personnel.
- Monitors staff attendance and takes corrective measures if
- Sets performance standards for all staff that reflect
expectations regarding job description responsibilities.
- Monitors performance in accordance with approved evaluation
- Maintains proper licensure.
- Assures that teachers are assigned to areas in which they are
endorsed or that teachers are making required progress toward this
endorsement in accordance with Board policy.
- Maintains safe work environment in accordance with approved
- Complies with federal, state and local requirements regarding
maintenance of employee leave records; and compensation for work
- Works with staff in developing professional growth plans and
provides opportunity for participation.
- Participates in required training and develops a personal
professional development plan.
Finance and Operations:
- Manages the financial functions of the school.
- Supervises the building functions of the school.
- Develops -- with the help of the school faculty, staff, and
parent representative(s) -- and monitors the school
- Monitors expenditures and ensures good fiscal management of
school-based funds as appropriated by the School Board.
- Follows the Danville Public Schools' approved purchasing
- Administers school-based accounting of student activity funds
according to auditing guidelines.
- Approves of all free and reduced-price lunch applications in
accordance with Federal guidelines.
- Collects textbook fees and other school-based fees.
- Maintains student data base including updates of student and
- Coordinates building rentals with the Department of Business
- Establishes building maintenance schedules and evaluates their
effectiveness, coordinating with Maintenance and Operations as
- Maintains furniture and equipment inventories.
- Supervises the use of the school and grounds by all
- Orders necessary instructional materials, textbooks, equipment
and analyzes the usage of such materials.
- Establishes and maintains an effective school-community
- Communicates with parents by means of letters, newsletters,
telephone and personal contact, and school programs.
- Participates in the activities of the Parent-Teacher
Association and Parent-Teacher Advisory Board.
- Involves parent and community groups in the operation of the
- Communicates and interprets division policies, procedures, and
- Utilizes school improvement teams to set objectives and
- Develops and evaluates an annual school plan, assuring its
coordination with division goals.
- Coordinates and maintains school accreditation in accordance
with the State of Virginia.
- Establishes and maintains an effective school climate.
- Coordinates staff activities to reach consensus on how
decisions at the school will be made.
- Provides feedback and support to teachers and other staff
members on professional needs.
- Resolves concerns on a timely basis.
- Informs staff members of pertinent issues of which they should
- Establishes procedures by which organizational improvements can
be suggested and implemented.
- Establishes an effective communications program that includes
opportunities for staff involvement, committees, individual
conferences, and internal communication procedures.
- Establishes an active client feedback system that includes
parents, students, and staff.
Performs other duties as required by the Principal, Chief Academic
Officer, and/or Superintendent. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of all practices, methods, and techniques
used in the administration and supervision of all facets of an
- Thorough knowledge of curriculum design, implementation,
evaluation and refinement
- Knowledge and understanding of student growth and
- Knowledge and understanding of the conditions and dynamics of
the diverse school community
- Excellent skill in oral and written communications
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of others
- Ability to set expectations, build capacity, model learning,
lead symbolically, manage effectively, and respond to constituent
groups and the community
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE/QUALIFICATIONS: At least three (3) years of
successful teaching experience. Successful experience as a school
administrator or supervisor is strongly preferred. Successful
experience in curriculum development. Successful experience in the
areas of human resources and human relations. Must hold or be
eligible for teaching license issued by the Virginia Board of
Education with PreK-12 Administration and Supervision (or
equivalent) endorsement. START DATE: 2021 - 2022 School Year SALARY
/ STIPEND: Salary Range: $67,933 - $98,503 annually, depending on
experience and advanced degrees. Danville School Board pays the
employee cost, in full, for state-mandated life insurance; and in
part for state retirement and health insurance. Other benefits -
sick, personal, and annual (vacation) leave. TO APPLY: Complete a
Danville Public Schools online application for "Licensed"
positions. Follow all instructions on the DPS "Employment
Opportunities" page to apply for this specific position.
Keywords: Danville Public Schools, Danville , Assistant Principal - GLH Johnson Elementary School, Education / Teaching , Danville, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!