Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs Working Title
Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs
Position Number 279FA011
Agency Danville Community College
Work Location Code DANVILLE
Hiring Range Commensurate with experience
Emergency/Essential Personnel No
Full Time or Part Time Full Time
Sensitive Position Yes
The Vice President works with the President and the senior
leadership team to determine vision, strategy, short and long-range
goals, operating budgets, capital plans and effective governance
policies. The Vice President is responsible for the marketing of
programs, enrollment, budget, data management and analysis, and
assisting in the design and development of new programs. The Vice
President for Academic and Student Affairs is responsible for
building an enrollment management and student affairs department
that is student-focused with a high standard of customer service.
Leadership on issues important to students, such as obtaining
meaningful work after graduation, is critical to the success of
• Lead the shaping, maintenance, and expansion of the academic
• Determine course offerings, design course schedules, and
direct processes for curricular revision.
• Conduct ongoing assessment of the academic programs.
• Implement academic policies of the institution.
• Work with faculty to develop, document, and evaluate
admissions standards, degree programs, and graduation requirements
which are in accordance with the College’s identity and
• Supervise the publication and regular revision of the course
catalog and student handbook.
• Supervise the publication and regular revision of all faculty
• Oversee academic advising; assign faculty for recruiting and
• Fulfill Dean of Students responsibilities or supervise the
Dean of Students.
• Prepare accreditation and assessment reports for VCCS and
regional governing bodies; work with VCCS and other accrediting or
regulatory agencies as necessary to guarantee the College’s
compliance with accrediting standards.
• Provides leadership in course and programmatic design,
instructional delivery and assessment activities.
• Responsible for area alignment with college strategic
initiatives and facilitates the preparation of short-and long-term
plans in support of college mission, vision and goals.
• Oversees the development of marketing strategies and outreach
processes leading to enrollment and programmatic recognition and
• Ensures division compliance with applicable federal, state,
and local regulations, accrediting commissions, licensing
requirements, and with administrative regulations and policies as
• Performs all other related duties as assigned.
• A Ph.D. or other terminal degree from an accredited college or
university is required and a strong record of progressively
responsible higher education administrative experience in senior
academic leadership roles at accredited institutions is required.
The ideal candidate will have a distinguished record of teaching,
scholarship, service, and student engagement.
• Extensive expertise in program and curriculum development,
program review and enhancement, continuous quality improvement
processes, and budget and fiscal management is desired.
• It is essential that candidates bring a high degree of
intercultural competency around issues such as race/ethnicity,
socioeconomic class, gender identity, sexual orientation,
nationality, veteran status, and so forth.
• The successful candidate will have experience establishing and
nurturing a collaborative, innovative culture.
Operation of a State Vehicle Yes
Supervises Employees Yes
Posting Number FAC_053P
Recruitment Type Public
Number of Vacancies 1
Position End Date (if temporary)
Job Open Date 09/08/2020
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Contact Name Bruce Cottrill
Special Instructions to Applicants
The selected candidate’s offer is contingent upon the successful
completion of an extensive criminal background investigation, which
may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment
verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to
employment), and other checks requested by the VCCS such as I-9 and
E-Verify requirements. Additionally, selected candidates may be
required to complete the Commonwealth’s Statement of Economic
Virginia’s Community College System, an EEO employer, welcomes
applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the
benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed
to providing a work environment free of discrimination and
harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job
requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit
discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color,
religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or
physical disabilities, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical
conditions, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity,
or other non-merit factors.
The Virginia Community College System is accepting applications
for the following position: Go to jobs.vccs.edu for more
information and to apply. Applications only accepted online. Full
background check required. The VCCS is an EOE and Affirmative
Action Employer and auxiliary aids and services are available upon
request to individuals with disabilities.
VCCS uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the
United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and
provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).